0333 444 0355 info@seseng.co.uk

When it comes to a new construction project a commonly asked question is what are temporary works and are they needed for my project? This article focuses on what temporary works are, how and why they are used.

What are temporary works?

In simple terms, temporary works are the pre-structure to the permanent structure.  More often than not temporary works are removed after the permanent structure has been completed. Examples of temporary works are access scaffolds, props, shoring, excavation support formwork, and falsework. On some occasions, the temporary works are incorporated into a permanent structure such as haul road foundations.

Why do I need temporary works?

Temporary works are used throughout the construction process as they provide additional support at each stage. The plans need to be designed in such a way that they prevent and also do not cause problems during any stage of construction,  regular supervision of the temporary works is also a must to make sure that they are doing their job properly. If these temporary work processes aren’t carried out in a systematic way problem are likely to occur. 

Who can carry out my temporary works?

Because of the high level of sensitivity, a trained temporary works coordinator will need to be appointed to design and monitor the works. 

Overview of what temporary works are

Temporary works are a vital step for any construction project and if they are not used in a correct manor your build will face a series of problems that can be quite troublesome. They are used to help build the permanent, structure and also keep the contractors safe during the construction process, they need to be planned and designed by a temporary works coordinator and cannot be removed without the permission of the coordinator.

If you have any more questions about temporary works then feel free to get in contact with our specialist temporary works team, we provide free consultations on all projects and can be contacted through our contact form, live chat or by telephone.

Reference – HSE / Temporary works